Fellowship Mission Hospital, Kumbanad in Pathanamthitta Dist was established in 1946. This has now become a reputed health care centre in the central Travancore area functioning under the Marthoma Medical Mssion, which is a Registered Society. Whenever they are indisposed people of the locality and around rush to this institution as they repose full faith in its services.
DOWN MEMORY LANE
All great enterprises have humble beginnings. So it is with Fellowship Mission Hospital, Kumbanad. Looking back, our attention becomes focussed on a prayer –group which met upstairs at Immanuel Marthoma Church, Eraviperoor. Gradually, the development of Kumbanad too was included in their agenda. Priority was given tohealth care of the the people of the locality. The service of a young doctor was placed at their disposal. This was none other than Dr.Jacob Ommen, popularly known as ‘Thampy Doctor’, fresh from the Medical College with an a degree to his credit. The Most Rev.Dr. Philipose Mar Chrysostam Valiyametropolitabn is his brother. A small building was taken on monthly rent and a clinic started much to the relief of the local public. There was ‘Plavunkal Achen’ a renowned clergyman to bless the venture. Later it came under the Marthoma Medical Mission. The Official inauguration was on the first of May, 1946.
In those days,the compound was known as “THADAMKALA’. The Marthoma Medical Mission took over in 1976. Since then there was no looking back.
FELLOWSHIP MISSION HOSPITAL NOW
At present Fellowship Mission Hospital has become a full- fledged one. Sixty six years of dedicated service is at its foundation. The signal services rendered by The Most Rev.Dr.Philipose Mar Chrysostam Valiya Metropolitha’, are graefully remembered. Now the hospital is taking great strides in progress under the guiding spirit of His Grace The Most Rev.Dr.Joseph Marthoma Metropolitan. Special mention is to be made of the untiring efforts of His Grace the Metropolitan, chairman of the Hospital Administrative Committee, for taking the Hospital out of the red.
The Hospital has 150 beds for admitting patients. A well – equipped geriatric centre is run successfully under the Hospital.
Dr.JOSEPH MARTHOMA DIALYSIS CENTRE
The ABUDHABI MARTHOMA PARISH has donated a dialysis centre as a project they had planned in connection with their 40th Anniversary Celebration. It has been named after His Grace Dr.Joseph Marthoma. Amount charged for one session of dialysis Rs.650/-.
Arrangements are made for periodic visits of a doctor and nursing staff to aged patients, who are unable to move out freely. An ambulance with all the facilities of a clinic plies within a circumference of 20 Kms from the Hospital.
Mrs. Lilly Varghese, wife of one of our former doctors the Late Dr.K.T.Varghese has donated a Blood Bank as a memorial to her husband .
A M M CENTRE
Because of the compulsion and pressures of their duty some people find it very difficult to stay with their aged patients and take care of them. Alexander Marthoma Memorial Centre offers to take good care of Senior Citizens who are not with their children in their old age. It is a Geriatric Home. It has been an adjunct to the Hospital for the last five years. Clean premises Nutritious food and healthy living atmosphere are the attraction here. There are single rooms, double rooms (A/C and Non A/C ) and Dormitory accommodation available. Facilities for prayer, worship, relaxation and entertainment are offered. Doctor’s care and nursing –care are provided to the Bed-ridden. A dietitian’s service is used to prepare food according to the likes and dislikes of the inmates. Besides these a Physiotherapist, Home Nurses and laundry facilities are made available.
This is what Fellowship Mission Hospital is at present. Let us thank God Almighty for guiding us throughout.